Had cortisol injection into knee, still have pain. Told to have damaged cartilage of knee. Advise?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I had a cortisol injection into my knee a week ago. I still have pain in my knee. How long before I feel an improvement or better still no pain or it is that it hasn't worked for me and I need key hole surgery. The consultant at the time said that my cartilage of the knee is damaged and I have OA also and that he would try the injection first and if this didn't work that I would need surgery. What do you think. Looking forward to your reply.

Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 21 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that steroid injections into the knee may not always provide pain relief or there is no hard and fast rule that steroid injection into the knee should always provide pain relief.

If the degeneration in the joint is more severe, most propably the steroid will not work.

Whether surgery is indicated in you has to be decided by your treating doctor based on the amount of radiological narrowing of the joint space and clinical examination.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.