Had coronary artery bypass surgery. Losing weight with mitral valve murmur. Advice?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I had emergency 4x cabg last April. Rehab went well. EF still only at about 30 in August when I got an ICD. Lost about 50 pounds completely changed way of life. Edema reared in left leg mainly in October. Been on 20 mg 2x a day. Christmas gained 10 pounds saw cardio for follow up XXXXXXX 3 now taking 40 mg Sunday am and Thursday. 20 rest of time. 4-6 .. XXXXXXX glasses of fluid daily. Exercise. Not really short of breath. Sine then though I am dropping about 3lbs a week. Sodium less than 700. He also said my liver was enlarged ...I don't drink. Next echo 2/14 and then bloodwork. Also have mitral valve murmer hoping to avoid surgery. Since my edema is much better do you think my CHF is better also? Take Coreg, losartan sim visitation, aspirin meteor in (under control). Spider veins also are more pronounced left leg. Thoughts? I am 50 female, 5 10 and now weigh 193 down from 264
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

As I understood your history that 50 year female, CABGs --> april 2012, ICD --> aug 2012, lost weight 193 down from 264, Now exercise.

As per your history, in my opinion your CHF is better now and if you continue with the same medications that will be more better in future.

Regarding weight loss its better with heart failure treatment and management. Mitral valve murmur is many occasions do not need any intervention.

Regarding liver enlargement, normally it is associated with CHF, in CHF liver will enlarge in size but after treatment, it will reduce again.

Finally, my advice is to continue with regular exercise and medications.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you a healthy heart.