Had coronary CTA for chest pain and stress echo was negative. Is radiation exposure harmful?

Apr 2014

I had a Coronary CTA for chest pain on physical activity as StressEcho came negative and i continue to have same prob for 3 months, the radioligist told me i had 2mSv radiation exposure, how harmful is that? How worried i should be?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 days later
Brief Answer: It is below the maximum limit for acute radiation. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your radiation exposure is 200 millirem only and maximum allowable radiation to adult person is 5000 millirem annually.It is also below the maximum limit in case of acute radiation. In acute radiation syndrome patient develops symptoms within 24 hours of radiation exposure. In acute radiation syndrome patient have nausea,vomiting,diarrhoea,skin changes etc.I presume you don't have these symptoms so,you didn't mentioned. Coronary CT angiography is very commonly done for calcium scoring in coronary vessels and patient don't have any problem due to radiation.You should't worry at all.You are perfectly safe. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX