Had constipation, diagnosed hypothyroid and taking synthroid and then had diarrhea. Developed abdomen pain. Suggest?

I have felt constipated for 3 months and have never been before, I have always been regular. Two months before I became constipated I was diagnosed hypothyroid and began taking synthroid medicine. I thought my constipation was related to the thyroid condition. I thought it was odd the constipation started two months after I started taking synthroid.
My constipation became worse and I was unable to pass anything and finally when I did it was hard dry stool, then followed by diarrhea and then that was followed by maroon blood.
That night I developed a sharp pain in my upper left abdomen that would come and go. It was syptomatic of having gas but I don't believe it was gas. The next morning I went to the bathroom and it was only blood. By the 3rd day the pain is all through my abdomen and is difficult to bend over or move fast. I have not gone to the bathroom today. A year ago I had a colonoscopy and one benign polyp was removed. Several times over the past several weeks I have suffered bouts of extreme nausea and sweating, and one ocassion I vomited.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and i am pleased to assist you.

Constipation of recent onset in an individual above 50 years of age needs evaluation.
Though hypothyroidism can cause constipation, there are other causes as well.
Check your blood glucose levels as diabetes is another common cause of constipation.

Though colonoscopy was done last year, it has to be repeated again now as you have constipation and blood in stool.
There are many causes of blood in stools in an elderly individual which include hemorrhoids, fissure in ano, polyps, diverticulosis, ischemic colitis and malignancy.
Consult a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy done.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini