Had concussion, passed hospital tests. Now have fever. Is this a coincidental fever?

I sustained a concussion on February 18 at approximately 12:00 noon. I was unconscious for about 2 minutes, then was disoriented for about 15-20 minutes. Regained responsiveness after that and was able to answer the medical staff questions. I was transported to a hospital, received CT scan, X-Rays and no cranial bleeding, or fractures were seen. I was kept in the hospital for 24 hours of observation, passed all their tests, and discharged February 19 at 12:00 noon.
Today, I came down with a fever of 102.1, which has since subsided.
Is this a coincidental fever?
Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later

Regarding the fever after head injury, I personally feel it to be co-incidental rather than due to the concussion. Rarely, hematomas after head injury can cause fever due to release of cytokines and other blood products resulting in an inflammatory cascade ( there is a release of chemicals which take part in inflammation) and thus a fever. However, since a CT scan has not shown any evidence for bleed in you, this is extremely unlikely.

Other possibilities would be due to secondary bacterial infection of exposed injuries on the scalp & extremities. In the absence of these, I personally feel it to be co-incidental rather than related to your concussion.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist