Had complete hysterectomy, suffering hot flashes. Used estrogen for long, recommended Estrace. Suggest?

I had a complete hysterectomy several years ago and am now suffering from hot flashes. If I begin using estrace vaginal cream, would that help bring me some relief? I used estrogen for years, but my doctor recommended that I start using estrace cream instead.
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. It can help you to some extent.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
After a total hysterectomy, the feeling of hot flushes is due to the hormonal changes caused by the menopause.
Estrace Vaginal Cream is used to treat moderate to severe dryness, itching, and burning in and around the vagina due to menopause. This is also a estrogen containing cream and might provide some relief from the hot flushes that you are having.
In case the symptoms are persistent then you can consider starting with hormone replacment therapy after discussing with your gynecologist.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had complete hysterectomy, suffering hot flashes. Used estrogen for long, recommended Estrace. Suggest? 16 hours later
Is there any risk of causing cancer by using the Estrace Vaginal Cream? I used the Estrogen Patch for several years after having a complete hysterectomy, as a as a form of recommended the vaginal cream.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not likely to cause cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Estrace vaginal cream is safer and has lesser side effects than the estrogen patch that you have used earlier. It does not increase the risk of cancer since it has more local effects only.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.