Had complete hysterectomy, not had sex from long time. After contact have fishy smell from inside. Cause?

Hi I am 47yrs old and had a complete hysterectomy when i was 21yrs old so i have no monthly periods. I have not had sex very often in the past several yrs. I have had it twice in the past 2 months. I have noticed a fishy smell from inside and dont know what to do about it, how it got there and how to get rid of it. I dont want my new guy friend to think bad of me cause i dont sleep around! can you help?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bacterial vaginosis

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fishy vaginal odours or discharge are usually related to bacterial vaginosis.

This is not classified as a sexually transmitted infection.It is found in women who are or who are not currently sexually active.

Vaginal odour typically fishy in nature is the initial symptom.

Though it can occur in any female , there are certain risk factors that increase the risk for infection. These are: recent antibiotic use, decreased estrogen production, douching, wearing an intrauterine device, new onset sexual activity

It can be confirmed by a vaginal swab done by your doctor.

Treatment can be the use of oral or topical medication.

Topically the options are: (1)metrogel 5g twice daily or once daily at bedtime for 5 days

(2)clindamycin vaginal cream 5g twice daily for 7 days

The oral options are : (1) metronidazole either as a 2 g single dose or as 500mg twice daily for 7 days

(2) clindamycin 300mg twice daily for 7 days

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Had complete hysterectomy, not had sex from long time. After contact have fishy smell from inside. Cause? 7 minutes later
are these options only thru a Dr. or can they be bought over the counter? I have limited access to a dr. and very little money. if not do you hav any over the counter suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These are the medications that are effective

Detailed Answer:

These are the medications currently recommended for bacterial vaginosis. Other medications that for example are used for yeast infections that may be overe the counter would not be effective for it.
Unfortunately they would usually require a prescription.

You can consider speaking to your local pharmacist to find out what is their policy. They may provide one of them to you without a prescription.

Please feel free to ask any other questions