Had complete colon removed, still go to bathroom frequently. Take immodium but no help. Has lost weight. Suggest?

General Surgeon
My Dad had his complete colon removed last December. They were able to reconnect to his rectum so no bag is involved. However, he is still having to go to the bathroom as many as 25 + times per day. He takes eight Imodium per day and drinks two glasses of another medicine per day. Nothing seems to help. Lost lots of weight. Burns him so bad he cannot sit. Only way to sleep is to sit in a recliner because as soon as he lays down he has to get right back up.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to incontinence

Detailed Answer:
As per your query, it is evident that entire colon has been removed. Small intestine ,i.e. ileum might have been sutured to rectum.

Usually, the contents in the small intestine will be in liquid form and when it passes through the colon, it will be solidified and passed out as stools in normal individuals.

After colon removal, it is usual to pass stools 5-6 times a day. But, passing stools more than 25 times is abnormal.

You have to take him to a surgical gastroenterologist and rule out incontinence.

If incontinence is confirmed, you have to proceed further as per the doctors' advice.

If radiation has been taken for prostate cancer, it might have led to radiation enteritis and increased frequency of stools.

I would like to know the composition of other medicine he is taking in those "two glasses".

Hope I answered your query. If you have any doubts, I would clarify further.

Wish him good health.

Follow-up: Had complete colon removed, still go to bathroom frequently. Take immodium but no help. Has lost weight. Suggest? 7 hours later
He very seldom has a solid or semi solid stool. His is very liquid and burns him. He has been seeing a gastro physician and they have suggestion liquid codeine but he was very allergic to it. Dad doesn't take any medication other than one small dose for blood pressure. He takes eight Imodium per day and drinks OTC Kry....? He is so depressed and seen several docs for suggestions. He has less problems when sitting but as soon as he goes to bed, it is uncontrollable. He sometimes has to change clothes 4-5 times per day. Dad does take lithotriptoline (sp). However, it is for neuropathy in his feet.
Brief Answer:
please consult a surgical gastroenterologist

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Therefore as explained earlier it would be worthwhile to consult a surgical gastroenterologist and not gastrophysician.

A surgical gastroenterologist or simply gastrosurgeon are experts in treating bowel incontinence. I suspect he might have this issue. And for information incontinence is treated with surgical means; so be prepared if the experts advice surgery.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.