Had colorectal cancer with an abdominal peritaneal resection. Having rectal pain. Underlying cause?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
I had colorectal cancer with an abdominal peritaneal resection 25 to 30 years ago. I have been having pain in the rectal area and am wondering what it could be. I am told adhesions can be a great factor. I would appreciate your answer. I have had a colonoscope every three years with no additional problems.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Colon Cancer

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adhesions can lead to rectal pain

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Just wanted to clarify one fact, if you had an abdomino-perineal resection, don't you have a colostomy? Or was it a low anterior resection where they have maintained the normal passage?
In either case pain can occur in the rectal area commonly due to the adhesions which are formed after surgery but also due to recurrence. It is good that you are getting regular examinations done. When was your last check-up?
If the pain does not get relieved within a day or two, you should visit your doctor and have it evaluated.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Had colorectal cancer with an abdominal peritaneal resection. Having rectal pain. Underlying cause? 10 hours later
Doctor thank you for your reply. Yes, I do have an abdominal perineal colostomy, which gives me no problems. My only problem is in the area that the rectum was removed.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adhesions could be a cause

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am,

If the pain is persisting, I think you should visit your oncologist and have him examine you once. Adhesions could be a cause of your pain but it could also be due to a recurrence, which should be ruled out.

Hoping for the best.