Had colopscopy for internal bleeding. Having pain. Reason?

I had a colopscopy on Tuesday, after the biopsy the only side effects have been bleeding which I know is normal. It is now Thursday night and I all of a sudden have a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I want to know if this is related to the colopscopy then why is the pain happening 2 nights later? Is this something I should worry about?
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

A colposcopy involves visualizing the cervix and performing small directed biopsies. These biopsies are extremely small and performed on the outside of the cervix. Given that you did well for two days, the occurrence of this pain does not seem to be related to the procedure based on how minimally invasive the evaluation is when performed correctly. If this pain persists, then you need to call your doctor. If there is a chance of pregnancy, then check a pregnancy test.

HPV is a common virus that you are exposed to by virtue of being a human being who has ever been sexually active. It is common and the effect on the cervix is possible pre-cancerous changes that are easy to identify and easy to treat if necessary to easily avoid cancer!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have followup questions.
Follow-up: Had colopscopy for internal bleeding. Having pain. Reason? 7 minutes later
Thank you. I'm concerned that if my biopsy comes back showing pre-canerous cells and that I need to have a procudure that this will affect my changes of having a baby in the future. Is there a way for me to just wait and have the cells clear on their own?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
The typical management of abnormalities found on biopsy would include:

1. Mild dysplasia - repeat pap smears every 4-6 months until at least 2 normals in a row
2. Moderate/severe dysplasia - a shallow excision of the area of abnormality.

Certainly if you choose to not treat #2, you will be subject to many colposcopies and directed biopsies over time with the inherent risk of cancer. While the progression to cancer can take a LONG time, in most cases it is best to have a recommended procedure performed if it is recommended in an effort to prevent cancer.

I want to direct you to a website that has a ton of information about pap smears, HPV, etc. It is WWW.WWWW.WW It might be a place to find additional information.

Do not panic until you have more information. The chance that you have cancer now is almost zero. If you are not comfortable with their advice regarding treatment or followup, then seek a second opinion.

I hope that this helps!
Follow-up: Had colopscopy for internal bleeding. Having pain. Reason? 9 minutes later
i will check out this website thank you! My last question is regarding oral sex. I assume if I have HPV then my Boyfriend most likely does as well. Anyways, do I need to refrain from giving oral sex since there will be no way of knowing when the HPV is "cleared" in him?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 minutes later
It may be that neither of you will ever be "cleared" of HPV. It is also certain that one of you had prior sexual contact with other partners, and thus the HPV issue. It is common and of little concern in almost all cases.

You do not need to refrain from oral sex unless he has visible lesions or sores on his penis.

And yes, there is no way of knowing if and when he (or you) will ever be totally clear of HPV. Just like other viruses (chicken pox, herpes, epstein-barr, etc.) they commonly insert themselves into the DNA of our cells and are never totally clear!

I hope this does not freak you out too much. You are right to be concerned about STD's, but given your motivation to ask questions and followup with your doctor, you are going to do great!