Had colonoscopy indicated several diverticula. Endoscopy showed gastritis. History includes clinically severe emphysema. Guide?

Hospitalized for diverticulitis July 3-8th. Colonoscopy in April indicated several diverticula. (no infection at that time). February 20th hemoglobin count 13.5. On discharge from hospital 10.3 - No overt signs of bleeding. Endoscopy showed gastritis (nothing more severe). July 7th.
History includes clinically very severe emphysema, FEV1 of 25% of predicted - CT scans have shown nodules for a number of years - watched carefully for changes. Further, small abdominal aortic anyerism (sic)
Continue to take prescribed antibiotics for diverticulitis. Discomfort moderate - very bloated - bowel movements
small and strained. Can you lend some clarity and direction in this matter?
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 5 hours later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Diverteculosis is a common problem particularly as you age. Most of times these are asymptomatic. But sometimes may cause problems like diverteculitis, bleeding, perforation or abscess formation. This is your first episode of diverteculitis which I understand has recovered well with antibiotics. Now you just need to take care of your diet, a high fibre diet is said to be useful for diverteculosis. Surgery is required if there are recurrent episodes of diverteculitis.

During hospitalization you had a 3 gram fall in haemoglobin. It is possible though there was no overt blood loss but may be occult / inapparent blood loss may have been there. Since you have undergone colonoscopy in April so there is no risk of cancer in colon. My advise is to get Haemoglobin repeated after 2 weeks and if it still is low then a physician to investigate the cause of fall in haemoglobin.

If you have any more questions please let me know, hope your queries are answered.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Had colonoscopy indicated several diverticula. Endoscopy showed gastritis. History includes clinically severe emphysema. Guide? 3 hours later
Thank you for your reassuring answer. I have had milder diverticulitis is the past. Did not require hospitalization -
The drop in blood count has put additional stress on my breathing. Frankly, a bit frightening. The severe emphysema puts me at high risk in a surgical situation - really not a viable option. I continue to be very "bloated" from my pelvis to under the rib cage. I trust this will diminish as I continue to improve. Would appreciate your input.

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 3 hours later

Thanks for contacting again.

I agree having severe emphysema makes surgical option a difficult one. Hopefully you will not require that option.

I too hope that bloating will improve as your clinical condition improves. Just try to avoid constipation by taking fibers and other laxatives.

You definitely need to follow your haemoglobin level. If this drops further or even stays at current low levels then the cause should be evaluated and some intervention will also be needed to improve this.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal