Had colonoscopy done yesterday. What does the report suggest?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had a colonoscopy done yesterday. I did not completely understand the results as I was still ubder the influence of the medication. One Item On the report indicated, "The IC Valve appeared Nodular and likely represents prolapsed IC Valve. However biopsies were obtained. THe Nodualrty appeared to have villi suggesting prolapsed IC valve XXXXXXX In the followup section it indicated hat XXXXXXX If IC valve biopsies come back adenomatous will need resection XXXXXXX can you explain what this means.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Your colonoscopy shows some nodularity of I-C valve. Only biopsy findings can decide what this exactly this is. Prolapse of IC valve is a benign condition and you dont need to worry about it. Whereas adenomatous changes mean neoplastic tissue, this needs to be removed by resection, as this may turn into malignancy.

I think at the moment you should not worry and should wait for the biopsy reports to come. Hopefully biopsy report wil be favourable.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Had colonoscopy done yesterday. What does the report suggest? 5 hours later
Thanks Doctor, I have one more question. What is the signifigance of villi in the nodualrty. and might this represent anything of greater concern.

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting again.

Villi in nodularity can mean it is a ileal mucosa or even can be seen in cases of villous adenoma. So one can be sure what it is only after biopsy report.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal