Had colonoscopy done. Noticed blood in stool. Worrisome

General Surgeon
blood in poop okay here's my question for 2 days when I poop there's been blood . I had a colonoscopy last year in everything came clear. Is also occur at one time last week in my stomach is been upset.
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Blood in stool can be caused by several diseases like hemorrhoids, large intestine polyps, large intestine cancer, inflammatory bowels disease.
As you have had colonoscopy last year, and it takes about 10 years for the colon cancer to develop, you do not suffer from cancer or polyp.
The most common reason of fresh, bright red blood on the surface of the stool or on the toilet paper are hemorrhoids. In some colonoscopies hemorrhoids are not visible.
So if you do not have blood mixed with the stool or dark blood (black) you have nothing to worry about.
I suggest you to try such treatment:
-hemorrhoids suppositories
- sitz baths with Quercus Cortex
- wash your anus after every stool and keep it dry and clean
- drink more mineral water and increase fiber XXXXXXX products
- increase physical activity

If such treatment wont help in a week or so, you may need to visit surgeon.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.