Ask a Urologist   »  

Had colonoscopy and since then getting UTI. Related?

Jul 2016

I don't know if I should ask this; but it seems as though since having a colonoscopy back in Nov 2012, I have had a UTI every month since then and runnning one even as we speak, what happened? Could the colonscopy have cuased this??
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not due to Colonoscopy.

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your mother has repeated episodes of UTI after she underwent Colonoscopy. 2 years back.
I would like to state that it is not definitely due to Colonoscopy.

Most likely it due to what is called as Post menopausal Urethral Stenosis.

Most of the female at this age undergo atrophic changes in entire Genito Urinary Organs resulting in to narrowing of urethral passage which causes obstructive changes in bladder due incomplete emptying of bladder which results in to stagnation of urine in bladder (Post Void Residue).

This stagnated urine is the prime source of infection (UTI)

Please consult qualified urologist for clinical evaluation and following investigation under his guidance.
1) Urine routine and urine culture
2) Ultrasound scanning to see obstructive changes in bladder and post void residue of urine.
She may need to undergo endoscopic evaluation and urethral calibration to dilate her urethral passage.

In the mean while give her broad spectrum antibiotics along with urinary antiseptics like Nitrofurantoin twice daily.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: Had colonoscopy and since then getting UTI. Related? 6 hours later
Thank you so very much this all sounds very right!!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for accepting my comments

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your comments .Please go ahead and consult qualified Urologist .

Thanks and Regards.