Had colonoscopy. Later had redness, bumps, burns and bad itch in body. Why is skin inflamed?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I had a colonoscopy on Monday. Everything went great. I was a nervous wreck and embarrassed but they were extremely nice and considerate of my privacy. They helped me onto my side and I remained completely covered with a gown and blanket. They gave me the propofol and I was out before the doctor did anything. Then I was back in my cubicle covered up again when I woke up. I appreciated the way it was done.

The procedure was finished at 11:30. About 2PM I started getting red on my chest, shoulders and neck. There were little bumps and it itched horribly. I took benadryl and it seemed to go away after about an hour. Since then I've started itching and burning around my anus. The skin is inflamed and red and the itching is maddening. I washed well with soap and have used cortisone cream that seems to help some. Any idea what might be causing this and what I can do that might help?

I'm 56 years old, 221lbs, reasonably good health, depression and anxiety are a problem but i'm being treated by a psychiatrist and therapist and making progress.

My conditions

GERD, High BP controlled, severe depression, anxiety disorder

My medications

propranolol la 160mg 1 in morning, ativan 1mg 1 in morning-1 in evening and another if needed, buspirone XXXXXXX 7.5mg 1 in morning 1 in evening, pristiq 100 mg 1 in morning, bupropion xl 300mg 1 in morning, nexium 40mg 1 in the evening, enalapril maleate 20mg 1 in morning 1 in evening, hydrochlorothiazide 25mg 1 in the morning, niaspan 500mg 1 in the morning 1 in the evening
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 16 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

I really appreciate the way you have described your problem

The detail you have provided will help me help you out better, it is difficult to assume that you have severe depression, anxiety disorder from your information

Anyway coming to your main issue of itching

The generalized bumps and itching which subsided with benadryl clearly indicates it of allergic origin

There has to be some medication given during the procedure or one that you take regularly which might have interacted, so need not worry

Regarding your local itching, there are three possibilities :

1] It may be a part of the generalized itching
2] It could be an allergic reaction to the jelly used to lubricate the scope or lastly
3] During anesthesia secondary to scopy there is sepage of the intestinal contents till you regain complete tone

In any case a good wash and an antihistaminic like Levocetrizine once daily for 3 to five days would be pf help

If this does not sort your issue in next 12 hours get yourself examined locally or send me pictures of the affected area

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Had colonoscopy. Later had redness, bumps, burns and bad itch in body. Why is skin inflamed? 25 hours later
I'm much better today. The antihistamine helps. The itching didn't interfere with my sleep last night. I'm going to tell the doctor what occurred when I go for a follow up visit in a couple of weeks.

I appreciate your help very much.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 50 minutes later

Thanks for your kind words

Am always there for the suffering in ALL WAYS

If there are no more queries , do accept my reply and rate it
Wishing you a speedy recovery