Had colon resection. Having haemorrhoids due to straining and diarrhoea. Feeling heavy between tail bone and anus. Treatment?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am one month after a colon resection. I have hemmorhoids due to straining and diarhea, as it appears my rectal muscles are now deficient, and my sphincter muscle just refuses to open easily. In addition, I am experiencing a heavy feeling when I stand or walk, between my tailbone and my anus, which also gives me pressure when I sit or lie down. Would this pain be as a result of the hemmorhoids, the colon surgery, or something else. I have been very sedentary in the past few months before surgery due to pain from diverticulitis. Also, I am hoping to have botox injections as a temporary fix for the sphincter issue, which worked for me years ago during a case of hemmorhoids and fissure. I have heard that this procedure can now be done in a doctor's office as opposed to the hospital. is this true?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in

The information you have provided is suggestive of dysfunction of the sphincter muscles

I would suggest you go for Anal Tonometry/Manometry

As per the result you may start pelvic floor physiotherapy

Take adequate fiber in your diet as bulk formation will initiate sphincter reflexes and will also help in pain from diverticullitis

Yes botox can be done as an office procedure

Hope this clears your doubts
Do write back in case of concern
WIshing you a healthy life ahead