Had colitis and blood in stool. Developed rash on chest and arms with diarrhea. Should I be concerned?

Excellent
Question
My mother is 91 yrs old, she is hospitalized with colitis and some blood in stool. I just developed a rash on my chest and arms and some diarrhea. Should I be concerned? Is it related and can I make her worse?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 23 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

I dont think there should be a major concern, This may be coincidental and independent from the colitis episode. There could be many causes for her colitis, including ischemic colitis or an acute infection such as gastroenteritis. However, I recommend excellent hand hygiene from you and other visitors since her colitis could be infectious in nature

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Had colitis and blood in stool. Developed rash on chest and arms with diarrhea. Should I be concerned? 3 minutes later
But what is it? It seems like a strange combination of symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 4 minutes later
It is actually a possibility that you have an acute gastroenteritis, which may or may not be the same process affecting your elderly mother. The acute combination of a morbiliform rash ( little red dots) with diarrhea is highly suggestive of an acute gastroenteritis. most common causes are viruses such as enterovirus; these can give bloody diarrhea

Follow-up: Had colitis and blood in stool. Developed rash on chest and arms with diarrhea. Should I be concerned? 5 minutes later
Muchisimas gracias. You have put me at ease.
XXXXXXX Rodriguez

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Con gusto. Bendiciones a ambas