Had colectomy done for colon cancer. PET-CT scan showed clear. Diagnosed with umbilical hernia. Concerned

General Surgeon
It looks like you have talked about calcified granulomatous disease so i wanted to get more specific about my report. I had colon cancer in stage one found by a colonoscopy in 07 and had a colectomy with no follow-up chermo or other treatment necessary. I had a PET-CT scan in this 5 year afterwards and it came back clear except for evidence of remote granulomatous disease within the chest and calcified granulomas seen within the spleen. Sounds like from your answer below that the calcified ones in my spleem means healing from an infection but what causes an infection in the spleen number one. And number two it didn't say the remote granulomatous disease within the chest was calcified so does that mean it is active. Also on another note, I have an umbilical hernia containing nonobstuctive bowel - I am assuming this occurred from the surgery in 07 where they went through my navel. Should I do anything about this or will it remain no problem except it looks like a bulge within my navel. Thannks
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks. I will answer you queries one by one

1. Regarding spleen infection - any infection in body can reach spleen and get settled there. Spleen is an organ associated with immunity, so it is easy for any infection to reach and settle there. However as the current report says it is calcified granuloma, we need not worry about it.
2. Granulamotous lesion in chest on PET CT - is very broad term. Yes, it might be an active pathology. I will advise you to consult a pulmonologist near you. Further test such as bronchoscopy or CT guided biopsy may be suggested.
3. Yes, the umbilical hernia may well be an incisional hernia at previous surgical site. You should get it surgically repaired at any appropriate time without any hurry as it is non obstructed hernia. Nevertheless, surgery should be done, before it complicates.

Hope it helps. Do ask if you any more questions in mind.

Dr. Rajat Gupta