Had cold sore on lip. Hand not washed after rubbing the cream. Touched the genitals. Will it spread?

Hi. I had a cold saw appear on my lip yesterday. I have had them before but do not occur frequently. Today I have been rubbing in the cream but am worried I may have spread the virus as cannot remembr washing my hands after application each time. Can it be spread by going to the toilet if I touched my genitals? Does it live on my finger long enough to make this possible? Can it passed on this way? I would not have gone to the toilet straight after application.

Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Oral herpes is caused by HSV-I. It is highly contagious and the infection spreads through direct contact. Genital herpes is caused by HSV-II. By touching your genitalia without washing the hands can transmit the infection although the chances of having a symptomatic genital affection are low.
Please be careful in future.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had cold sore on lip. Hand not washed after rubbing the cream. Touched the genitals. Will it spread? 4 hours later
Thank you.I didn't go to the toilet directly after.can the virus live on the finger or does it die in air after a certain amount of time? lastly I would only have touched the tissue.can it be spread through a tissue if touched it and then wiped myself?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
A direct contact with infected part is necessary for the infection to be transmitted. In your case since there was a time gap in between and you touched only the tissue, transmission is unlikely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.