Had cold like symptoms with sore throat. Gland under chin hurts, eye aches and nose is runny. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I have had cold like symptoms on and off for weeks that never develops and usually when I'm gettin a cold I will get a bad sore throat first but with this I've got a sore throat that's barely there, the glands under my chin hurt, my eyes ache my nose is slightly runny and I have a dull achy headache. could this be hayfever? and would I be able to take an antihistamine with propanolol which I'm taking for anxiety.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you.

From your description, it is obvious that you are having an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) which could be found in any of the upper respiratory pathways notably the sinus, nasal orifice, throat/larynx etc. It could be allergic rhinitis/hay fever as you suggested (meaning URTI of viral origin). Also, if this infection has been there for a couple of weeks already, it will be wise to place you on an antibiotics (in case the infection if of bacterial origin or superinfection) such as amoxicillin/clavulinic acid. Oral steroid or steroid sprays could also help relief symptoms and make you feel better.
There is significant interaction between propanolol and some antihistamines so it is best if when taken, you should be monitored closely.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah