Had cold, fever and cough. Using Crocin and cetrizine. Fever levels went down but has cough. Suggest?

My mother had cold, fever and cough from last three days. She was using Crocin, cetrizine. Fever levels went down from last night. But she has severe cough with Phlegm.

Can you please suggest appropriate medicines for her?

She has no travel history
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cough is usually the last symptom to improve.

Detailed Answer:

Cough usually follows an acute respiratory infection. It does not need any medical attention if the phlegm is not severe, foul smelling or blood stained and if there is no fever.

If the cough is troubling her, I would start her on expectorant syrups like benadryl 5ml three times a day. Antihistamine (cetrizine) can continue for another two days.

In addition to the above, encourage her to drink plenty of fluids and rest well. Steam inhalation can give added benefits.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.