Had cold and supraclavicular is swollen, numbness and tingling in hands. Have Celiac disease and hypothyroid, take synthroid

ENT Specialist
About a month and a half ago I was sick with a cold and noticed that my supraclavicular (left clavical) is really swollen and hasn't come down. It is also very tender around my neck (stiff muscles). My left hand keeps going numb and tingling almost all day long. I am a professional photographer. I am worried it's hodgkins or something as I have been getting random low grade fevers and flushed cheeks. I am 41 yrs old. I have Celiac Disease & Hypothyroid (I take 100 mg of synthroid)
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. An enlarged left supraclavicular lymph node is known as a Virchow's node or Troisier's sign.

2. A tender node may be a sign of infection. However due to the vast area that this infection may drain from, you will require a search from the head, neck to the upper abdomen.

3. Get an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the lump, Neck & Abdominal Ultrasound (USG), chest X-rays, blood tests and imaging done.

4. All this is especially advised as you also have numbness in the hand, which indicates pressure on the brachial plexus (nerves supplying the arm).

5. It is too early to label this as a lymphoma or cancer as there are many other signs and symptoms. At present, it may be regarded as an infection. All these tests will help identify the source of this swelling.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.