Had cold. Throat and ear hurts while swallowing. Taken antibiotic. Any ideas?

hi I am wondering if there can be another reason for my throat hurting when I swallow.. I feel , just OK not great and have recently had a cold that seemed to take along time to go away.. due to the fact I was planning on Flying on a long trip.. I went to the Dr and was prescribed antibiotics which I took for 10 days.. I did get better but now I am home from my trip and I have had trouble sleeping because when I swallow the back of my throat near my ear hurts.. and it changes from one ear to the other..?? Any ideas??
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering from infection of the posterior pharyngeal wall (throat), here there is a small tube called the Eustachian tube which connects the inner ear to the throat might also get infected during throat infection leading to ear pain.
There is no cause for concern, throat infection usually takes upto 3 weeks to heal.

The ideal thing to do is to gargle your throat with warm water mixed with salt. The other thing is to gargle with betadine gargles but they taste bad.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery