Had cold. Feeling mild fever and throat pain. Suggest some medication

Hi, I had a cold about 2 weeks back. I did not take any medicine for it, and it went away in 2 days. But ever since then when I wake up in the morning, my throat hurts. It doesn't hurt during the day. Today I am feeling a little feverish (even though the thermometer shows normal temperature). Can you recommend some medicine?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 2 hours later

You may be having pharyngitis which is mostly viral or allergic in nature and takes few days to subside.
-For pain, I suggest you to take paracetamol 6 to 8 hourly.
-Do saline gargles 2 to 3 times a day.
-You can take some antiallergic like levocetrizine. You will need a prescription for this from your family physician.
-Take Vitamin C.(Limcee)1 to 2 tablets a day.
-Drink plenty of lukewarm water.
-Take XXXXXXX leaves, honey and lemon boil in water, and take it.
-Avoid all kind of fried and junk food, take simple bland diet.
In case symptoms persist get yourself examined by ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

God bless.
Follow-up: Had cold. Feeling mild fever and throat pain. Suggest some medication 1 hour later
It is not viral for sure....I know how viral feels many time should I take levocitrizine?? And also if you could recommend something to avoid such sore throat in future....!
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 10 minutes later

Thanks again.

If you feel it is not viral, it has to be allergic or bacterial in nature.

In case of allergic you have to identify allergen and try to avoid it. Levocetrizine can provide symptom relief. You can discuss the dose and frequency of the medication with your throat swab culture and sensitivity done so as to confirm any bacterial growth and appropriate medicine as well.

Hope this answers your questions. If you have any further question, I would like to help.

God bless..
Follow-up: Had cold. Feeling mild fever and throat pain. Suggest some medication 44 hours later
I took levocitrazine and paracitamol but I don't feel any difference. The problem is very mild, will it subside by itself if I do not take any medicine? or should I go see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 9 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up.

Mild symptoms is unlikely to be bacterial in nature or a resolved bacterial infection. Therefore if you is mild, you can wait for couple of days.
Continue with saline gargles and have plenty of fluids.

I am sure that you will be well soon. In case it does not get better, get yourself examined by ENT specialist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you good health...

God bless!!