Had coccydynia, recently diagnosed with herpes and anal fissures. Having tailbone pain. Can Herpes trigger pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012
Excellent

Question
I have had coccydynia (spelling... sorry... chronic tailbone pain) for a few years, post-fall. I recently was diagnosed with herpes (2) and am now experiencing an anal fissure (much different from hemorrhoids!). I am noticing that the tailbone pain is MUCH WORSE. Can herpes cause or trigger an increase in tailbone pain...? And also, what can I do here for the anal fissure? (heat seems to work better than ice... cleansing seems to ease the discomfort... help! Home remedies?)
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Herpes is usually painless but could be sore

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Personally, I have never come across any patient who has coccydynia aggravated by herpes infection. Herpes simplex infection is usually painless but could be sore. It triggering or aggravating tailbone pain is not a known fact but theoretically if the herpes is found around your tailbone or anal region, the pain or soreness elicited could be referred to your tailbone hence the tailbone pain.
At home, in order to get relief from anal fissure besides using heat, you could try:
- Preventing hard stool and constipation by making diet changes i.e eating more fiber or bulk, such as fruits, vegetables, and grains , increasing fluids, using stool softeners and avoiding too dry food stuffs
- Applying the following ointments or creams to the area may soothe the skin: Numbing cream, if pain interferes with normal bowel movements, Petroleum jelly, Zinc oxide, 1% hydrocortisone cream, Preparation H, and other products
- Doing sitz bath (it is a warm water bath used for healing or cleansing) You should sit in the bath two to three times a day. The water should cover only your hips and buttocks.
- Exercise daily
- Schedule time each day for a bowel movement. Having a daily routine may help. Take your time and do not strain when having a bowel movement.
If the anal fissues do not go away with home care methods, treatment may involve:
- Botox injections into the muscle in the anus (anal sphincter)
- Minor surgery to relax the anal muscle
- Prescription creams applied over the fissure to help relax the muscles

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah