Had cluster of very flat spots on penis. What can this be?

Question
I've had a cluster of very flat spots on my penis for about three years. They are not raised or rough as warts are described and when you look closely seem to have an inverted top. any ideas?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum Contagiosum

Detailed Answer:

Based on your description I suspect the lesions you have to be due to Molluscum Contagiosum. It is a viral infection which is transmitted person to person or by touching contaminated surfaces.

I would like to know some more details on the lesions to be sure of the diagnosis.

What colour are the lesions?
How big are the lesions?
Do you have itching on or around the lesions?
Have you used any medication? If so, please mention.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Had cluster of very flat spots on penis. What can this be? 29 minutes later
the lesions are sort of pinkish/white and very faint. It looks like there are 10 or so of them in a cluster that in total is about as bit as the end of my little finger--in other words i can cover it just by placing my little finger there. they don't itch but sometimes it seems like i can feel them--like maybe if my skin has become dry or i've had sex, etc. also, next to or as part of this same cluster, it's sort of hard to tell is on spot that is whiter and slightly more raised. then a horizontal row of maybe four tiny spots that are horizontal--but those are pretty much invisible to the eye. it's easier or harder to see them depending on how white or pink the rest of my penis is. i did get my hands on some immoquid cream a while back and more recently podofilox but neither seemed to have any effect. given how small they are and hard to see i generally try to forget about them but i thought maybe i should be trying something else
Follow-up: Had cluster of very flat spots on penis. What can this be? 2 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX did you get my response to your question and are you able to respond to mine?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum or fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Based on the detailed description I still suspect the possible diagnosis to be Molluscum. But considering its long duration which is less likely I would recommend you to get your self examined by a dermatologist and get a biopsy of the skin lesion done. This test will surely identify the type and nature of the lesion and help in management.

Follow-up: Had cluster of very flat spots on penis. What can this be? 15 minutes later
thanks. i looked up molluscum pictures on line but all of the bumps look much more pronounced than what i have. And wart pictures look even more horrifying. I'll schedule an appt with the dermotologist. In the meantime are there any over the counter treatments for molluscum? What are the prescription treatments?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:

Apply calamine lotion on the lesions. This may prevent scarring and complications of such lesions.

regards,