Had closed pilonidal cyst excision done. Noticed bleeding with severe pain. Is this normal?

Neurologist, Surgical
I had a closed pilonidal cyst excision done two weeks ago. I woke up this morning with the gauze soaked in blood and it even seeped into my clothing. It hasn't been bleeding for almost a week and now and it is bleeding more than ever. My stitches are still intact, but I'm also developing more pain as each day goes by. Is this common during the healing process? There is no infection (fowl odor or strange color) just dark blood.
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
thanks for writing back.
While the bleeding could just be collected blood draining out, it is more likely to be an infection. This is not a normal part of the healing process. You would need a course of antibiotics and a drainage as well. Please see your surgeon immediately
Let me know if you have any more questions.