Had chronic prostatitis. Took doxycycline and ciproflaxin. Having discomfort after urination. Suggest

HIV AIDS Specialist
i have dealt with what doctor's inititally said was chronic prostatitis for 7 months now (i thought inititally it was a UTI - bladder, urethra burning). i took doxycycline for 2 weeks, then ciproflaxin for almost 3 weeks, then went to a urologist who put me on septra. i quit taking the septra after about 10 days - felt a little worse while taking that. since then i have done alot of reading and look at this as a pelvic pain condition so have been doing pelvic floor physical therapy for about a month - no improvements yet. still have discomfort after urinating, hate sitting very long - rectal discomfort, and sacrum area is irritated. i do have a few lower lumbar bulged discs... To add to all this, my wife has complained of burning discomfort in her vagina. she went and got tested and they found gardnerella. well after doing a few self medications she went back about 2 months later and tests showed nothing. but now her pain and sensitivity is at the entrance of vagina. she says coloring is different and it appears swollen. Her gyno had no answers. She told her dr about my issues too and wondered if they were related. Her initial symptoms are within a week or two of my initial symptoms. We both got tests done for STDs, standard urine test indicated nothing, and she even got tested for herpes which was negative. We dont know where to go from here. the discomfort is everyday and varies in severity. i feel best when up moving around or laying down. She wears loose fitting clothes and is also doing stretching exercises for problem. she thinks it might be vulvadynia....
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query,

Let me know the latest urine report results for you with regards to the presence of pus cells. It only could indicate whether you are having the problem still or not. If your urine is clear and normal all your problems may not be related to Prostatitis. Your low back and sacral pain may be related to your spinal cord problem also.
More over your seminal analysis results for the presence of pus cells also will give a clue, if present you can go for Culture and sensitivity examination of Semen which also will be of use.

If prostatitis is confimed, along with antibiotics repeated prostatic massage and examination of prostatic fluid and culture of prostatic fluid also will help you in this regard.

For your wife, she can try a steroid with antibiotic cream for externally for some time. Yeast infection and presence of any predisposing factors for yeast infection also have to be ruled out.
Wish you both a speedy recovery.
DR S.Murugan