Had chronic constipation. Fybgol leads to tiredness, movicol leads to headache. Made haemorroids bleed. What can help bowel movement?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I always had chronic constipation. I have tried many 'cures' but, though some are effective, most had a bad side effects on me. Fybogel is fine but makes me feel tired all the time. Duphalac is less effective, but does not create the 'urge' that I need.(but is safe for long term) Movicol gives me a great headache, and I need something to take long term. I drink enough fluids I think. At breakfast I take Weathabix and skimmed milk and take 25 mls of Duphalac at bed time .What do you suggest to help me get that 'urge' for a bowel movement in the morning? I have lately made my haemorroids bleed from straining. I have spoken to my GP often. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

I appreciate your concern after having tried a lot of things

Basically what I understand from your information is - You need to strain a lot to pass stool ?

What is the consistency of stool ?

How long do you use the toiled seat ?

How many times during the day do you go for toilet ?

Is there any mucus associated with it ?

Revert back with this information and I will help you out
Wishing you a Speedy Recovery
Follow-up: Had chronic constipation. Fybgol leads to tiredness, movicol leads to headache. Made haemorroids bleed. What can help bowel movement? 6 hours later
The consistency of the stools are soft due to the Osmotic laxatives I take. The main problem is that I do not get the 'urge' for a bowel mo+vement, so I just go in in the mornings and wait till something happens!! When something does happen, I still have to strain to move a soft stool. Lately I have developed haemorroids too and sometimes during the day, I get a small 'watery, mucus like leakage which is very uncomfortable! I stay in the toilet for about an hour and go to the toilet only once in the day, as this is a life long habit. I drink a lot, take fibre and walk for about 1 hour each day. My blood group is 0 Positive. This problem is causing me great distress! XXXXXXX Gatt
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later

Thanks for your followup query

I can understand your concern

Few things that need to be taken care of are :
1] Get a stool examination done as some of your symptoms are related to like to rule out collitis
2] Reduce the time you use your toilet, let it be only when there is the feeling to defecate
3] Medicines like probiotic twice a day will help
4] To get the urge you may add Itopride twice a day for 6-8 weeks

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Get Well Soon