Had cholangiocarcinoma and now having frequent bathroom trips with pale stools. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I had cholangiocarcinoma 7 years ago and now having more trips to the bathroom and having some blonde stools which I have never had before, should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bile ducts obstruction.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Yes, this can be something serious. Pale stools are usually a sign of bile ducts obstruction. Due to such obstruction, bile is not secreted to the stool so it gets pale.
I do not know what kind of surgery was done at your case (if any), but this can be a sign of cancer recurrence or other non cancerous reason of bile ducts obstruction.

Please visit your doctor, have abdominal ultrasound (or CT if possible) and liver tests (AST, ALT,GGTP).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.