Ask a Urologist   »  

Had chlamydia. Treated with antibiotic for UTI. Noticed stringy mucus floating in urine. What's wrong?

I had a bad uti about two months ago and was treated with antibiotics and azo, and it cleared up. I noticed about three weeks ago that a couple times out of each week it felt like another one was forming, so i would drink a bunch of water and that feeling would go away. I went pee a few days ago and when i went to flush, i saw something floating in the water but i thought someone had spit in the toilet before i used it. Tonight, i just went pee again, which caused really bad pain in my left side lower back. When i went to flush, i saw two 'clumps' of clear extremely stringy mucus floating. I've been looking everything up and it is just freaking me out. Should i try to keep myself hydrated before contacting a physician? (tonight was the worst it has been with the lower back pain and im extremely dizzy and feel faint, so i assume im dehydrated. I've been slowly drinking water). I should mention that i did get Chlamydia about two years ago, was treated for it fully, but I haven't gotten tested since because I've only slept with my fiancee. I can't imagine that I still have Chlamydia, I would imagine I am completely infertile if that is even possible.. Please help. :(
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later

The symptoms you describe are very compatible with a back pain and changes with the nature of urine suggest pyelonephritis and/cystitis - both subtypes of urinary tract infection. In some cases, foaming is usually present depending on the specific cause.

It's important for you do to a urine test called urinalysis in search of nitrites and leucocytes to confirm a urinary tract infection, a urine culture to isolate the causative organism and antibiotic sensitivity tests to identify the exact antibiotic that would treat effectively the causative organism.

Drinking a lot of water is a very healthy practice on its own, and is very important during suspected urinary tract infections.

Chlamydia in the most common cause of sexually transmitted disease in women in developing countries. The treatment usually requires treatment with antibiotics for a given number of days depending on the drug used. However, after completing the treatment course, it is advised to do a control test to determine the amount of these antibodies to this organism in blood. This normally should be done in the same laboratory to help compare antibody titers at the beginning and at the end of treatment. If they have not decreased in a satisfactory manner, the treatment might have to be taken again or changed.
Poorly treated Chlamydia off course is a risk factor for infertility and ectopic pregnancies; but in your case, I do not think its really the situation and you must not worry for now.

I would suggest you continue drinking much water for now as you make an appointment to XXXXXXX a gynecologist. In case you are sexually active, it might be advisable to undertake protected sex may be using condoms. Your partner might also need a consultation or some exams for the couple to be treated for more effectiveness and reduction of recurrence.

I will be honored answering any further questions if need be.

Wish you a fast recovery and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.