Had chills, fever and tingling cough. Caught flu, chest and back feels tight. What could be the cause?

Hi--Tuesday I ached all over, had chills, temp >101 and annoying tickling cough-minimally productive. Figured I caught the flu. Yesterday T 99.6, cough continues, but now my chest & back feels like something tight is wrapped around it & can't take a deep breath without initiating the cough and chest/back pain. When I woke up this morning, and was lying in bed, I could breathe deeply & had no pain. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later

thanks for the query

It would appear you are suffering from an acute upper respiratory tract infection. Acute upper respiratory tract infections are generally caused by viruses and viral infections usually present with mild elevation of body temperature (101), muscular pains, cough ( most often dry) etc.

Acute viral conditions generally resolved with time and there is no need to worry about as in just a couple of days everything will be normal unless there is a bacterial super-infection.

Another possible condition could be an allergic reaction. Allergic reaction would present with symptoms as above but without muscle pains. Sneezing and clear nasal discharges are the main symptoms without which ti will be less likely to be an allergic reaction.

What you need to do is to watch out if there are any other accompanying symptom such as fever ( temperature going above 101.3), feeling of suffocation or severe chest pain and report immediately to Emergency room.

Hope this helps you.
If you have further query, i will be glad to help.

Best regards