Had chicken pox, now enlarged lymph nodes. CBC satisfactory. What does this mean?

My son had chickenpox a month ago but still has enlarged lymph nodes. Full cbc came back as satisfactory,what does this mean??
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Chicken pox is a self limiting viral infection which certainly causes enlargement of the lymph nodes. In chicken we expect leucopenia in the CBC (reduced wbc)

In order to help you better I need to know a few extra things from you

1. Has the fever settled?
2. Which group of lymph nodes are you talking about? How big are they? Are they tender? Did you notice any increase in size?
3. PLease type out the CBC report or you could attach them

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you and your son good health

Follow-up: Had chicken pox, now enlarged lymph nodes. CBC satisfactory. What does this mean? 4 hours later
The fever has gone, i do not have a copy of the cbc , the receptionist told me the results were satisfactory. The nodes are one on his neck below his left ear and one pea sized node on the left hand size of his head
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 17 hours later

Thanks for replying

Nodes in the neck are considered significant only if they are more than 2cm in radius, tender and matted so I don't think the nodes are any reason to worry about.
I needed to see the CBC for a better interpretation but if they have said it is satisfactory then it means that there in no significant drop in white blood cells so rest assured he will get better without any secondary infection

I hope I was of help, sorry for the delay I was help up at the hospital