Had chicken pox and typhoid. Affected academic studies. Now have lack of focus and anxiety. Help?

I am a 11th grade student, having science as my subjects. I recently appeared in my annual examinations, but failed to clear two out of three exams. I was given a retest in two, but I still could failed in one of the subjects. On a self assessment I do realize that throughout the year I din't put the effort required for my subjects. Their are various reasons, I was distracted, I was also ill (diagnosed with chicken pox and typhoid) , and losing two of my months studying. Throughout the year i tried to self introspect but i din't realize what's really bothering me. Sometimes I used to feel that I could do really well in my academics, and sometimes I felt I can't do anything at all. I all this I din't put the much needed effort to even clear the exams. I still believe the choice of my subjects was correct. I don't waste time in other activities, still I couldn't concentrate on my studies. I realize all my problems but still I couldn't get over them in a years time. I fell I lack will to do things, but I think why should I fell so. I get that "give up" feeling and feel the need to start all over again. Your help will be much appreciated.
Yours Sincerely
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Following are the common causes poor academic performance:
-Low IQ
-Learning disability
-Lack of interest
-Lack of concentration

As your problem is only 1 year old then lack of interest and lack of concentration are most relevant causes in your case.

Viral infection (chicken fox) and typhoid usually lead to post infection syndrome in which anxiety, depression and poor concentration are common symptoms, which can last for several months and improve with time. This appear to great reason for poor performance in your case.

Irrespective of cause following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure gradually over time.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk.
-Wet 4-5 almonds daily in morning
-Make schedule for study
-Do not look in past

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Had chicken pox and typhoid. Affected academic studies. Now have lack of focus and anxiety. Help? 40 hours later
Thank you for your answer, I am starting to follow up your suggestions and the reasons I believe applicable to me are:
-Lack of interest
-Lack of concentration

As I believe this problem is since the last three years, further aggravated by typhoid and chicken pox the last year. I do tend to make a schedule, put alarms to wake up early , but the effort goes in vain. I think I lack the "will power" to do things, and somehow don't have that "tunnel vision", so that I could just focus at a my focus at my academic performance only. I would be grateful if you could suggest a few more tips on how to improve concentration and further improve my willpower.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

There is no need to worry, if you are not able to complete your task fully according to schedule. In spite of that make schedule daily, it will help in long term.

Anxiety lead to lack of interest and poor concentration. Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Reply me if above symptoms are present in your case.

Wish you good health.