Had chest pain and cough. All tests normal. What else to do to ensure no lung problem?

I just asked you about imaging and chest pain and cough. I said earlier that I have had two cxr's spaced 3 months apart while symptomatic of lung cancer. The xrays are unchanged and no evidence of any lung problem is shown. Since getting a pet is just about impossible, what other things can I or should I do to ensure I am cancer free. I have no longer smoked for some time now and never will again. Repeat cxr's?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep regular follow up with your Pulmonologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query.After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Its good that your chest Xrays were normal. A normal chest Xray has a very low chance of any lung malignancy but an HRCT scan thorax is the option above chest Xray if the suspicion of malignancy is high. In your case , currently the suspicion does not seem to be high. I think you had a previous CT scan which was normal.

2. Your current cough could be a part of COPD or just another bout of respiratory infection, so get it managed accordingly in consultation with a chest physician.

3. Do watch for any increase in chest pain, blood in sputum, any lymph node enlargement in the body, hoarseness of voice, difficulty in degluttition, a swelling of the finger tips (clubbing). In case of any clinical symptom you need to consult your Pulmonologist. Active follow up is required atleast for a period of 2 years.

4. You need to continue your smoking cessation and that should reap benefits for you.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist