Had chest pain. Medical test normal. Got relief after taking gaviacon. What was the problem?

Here's my question, My husband was sent to hospital two days ago with pain in chest after consuming a salad wrap, he also said that when he ate food or drank liquid he it felt uncomfortable. The emergency consultant did a full check over for cancer etc and found my husband was all clear. I work with a lady who had the exact same symptoms as my husband and she suggested, take GAVISCON. Since my husband started taking the GAVISCON, he no longer feels the discomfort when eating or drinking. Any suggestions as to what it was?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 26 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Gaviscon is used for the treatment of heartburn and/or acid reflux.

Your husbands presentation matches the following conditions in order of their likelihood:
-Gastroesophageal refulx disease (GERD)
-Hiatus hernia
-Peptic ulcer disease
-Barrett's esophagus
-Weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES)

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any more information or clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.