Had changes in bowels, told it was stress. Having diarrhea, painful pressure and sound in rectal area. Any idea what it is ?

ive experienced changes in bowels for quite some time. they were gradual and at first i thought it was just getting older and my iron stomach was disappearing. it got bad enough that i went to my doctor and was sent to a gastro specialist. after stool samples and blood work, i was told that it was probably just stress and to come back in six weeks. i missed my follow up and a year later my symptoms are worse. it started with diarrhea and now its a host of symptoms including painful pressure, gas, a rumbling sensation and sound in rectal area, and in general feeling drug down and anxious about eating. i have an appt again next week but im trying to find out as much as i can now. im thirty and a female.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later

Please provide some more information regarding your problem, as it would help me in suggesting you better.

1. Have you had an endoscopy?
2. Do you have pain after food or before food or all the time?
3. Is the pain localised or generalised?
4. Do you have fever, vomitting, etc apart from diarrhea?
5. Any blood in vomit or stools?
6. Do you have diarrhea soon after eating or irregularly?

Awaiting your reply with answers to above questions.

Follow-up: Had changes in bowels, told it was stress. Having diarrhea, painful pressure and sound in rectal area. Any idea what it is ? 33 minutes later
in reply to dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

1) ive not yet had an endoscopy. probably in my future.
2)i sometimes am afraid to eat because i am already having symtoms that day so i don't, then again, sometimes i feel fine and i eat and have symptoms.
3)pain is most bothersome in lower ab and rectal area but also occurs in upper ab near ribs, sides and stomach.
4)no blood that i have noticed in stool but has been watery blood color upon wiping
5)diarrhea is mostly when i am waking and getting ready for work but has also woken me in middle of night.

i hope this is the right way to reply(by clicking i have more questions). thank u for your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for answering my questions.

Well, I think that a endoscopy is needed in your case. The problem could be in the large gut. Colitis could be a possible cause for all your symptoms.

A colonoscopy will help differentiate the types of colitis and will help to reach the diagnosis.

Diet is the key here. Keep to a clear fluid diet for a few days. Avoid hot,spicy and oily food. You will possibly need antibiotics also.

I would suggest that you see a Gastro specialist and get the relevant tests done first. Then once the diagnosis is confirmed the next line of management can be decided upon.

Hope, this answers your query.

Wish you good health.