Had cesarean. Can I take the HPV Vaccine? What are the side effects?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
My name is XXXXXXX
My Mother-in-law has Cervical Cancer and i am planning to take HPV Vaccine;
i am married for past 1.5 years;6 months back,i had a delivery through cesarean and the baby was not able to survive due to lung problem [Doctor told that the lungs are not opened]

The question is can i take the HPV Vaccine Now?
if Yes,How many doses should i take and what is the time gap between them?
What are the side effects of it?
After taking this vaccination,how much time i have to wait for pursuing next pregnancy?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 6 hours later

The problem of your baby was not due to the ailment of your mother in law.
You can take HPV vaccine if you wish to. This is mainly given for women who had no experience of sexual intercourse. If a women takes after that it is of not much use as the HPV (viral infection ) would have already occured in a lady who had sexual activity. This means the HPV vaccine is not 100% beneficial to you. According to the company mainly manufacturing this vaccine 'GARDESIL' it should be should be given to a women between 9 to 26 yrs of age.
However you can safely try for next pregnancy immediately, there are no side effects even if you take the vaccine.
Good luck
Follow-up: Had cesarean. Can I take the HPV Vaccine? What are the side effects? 24 hours later
Thanks For the reply Doctor.

How many does of the vaccine should i take and what is the gap between them?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 10 hours later

HPV vaccine available in India is of two types: cervarix and gardasil.
Usually 3 doses of vaccine is given at intervals of 0, 1, 4/6 months. All the instructions are written on the information brochure of type of vaccine to be used.

Consult your local gynecologist for details.

Good luck.