Had cervical surgery done. Why am I having ringing ear?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, My name is XXXXXXX I have had ringing in my right ear since 8/12. I had cervical C5,6 & 7 surgery by Laser Spine Institue on C5/6, 11/11 & C6/7 on 3/12. They lasered the bones so that the nerve did not pinch between the bone and the disk. Then again I have cholestrol plaque build up in my right neck area, could that be moving up in my cranial area? I see a doctor next week for new testing on that. Ultra-sound? Help! I have broken sleep all the time for waking up to the ringing of my right ear. Thank you
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Your symptoms of ringing in the ears is suggestive of a damage to the middle ear. It can be due to infection or a nerve injury.
Now the lesion can be either
1. Peripheral - inside the inner ear - Cochlea, or
2. Central - Along the cochlear nerve which travels from ear to brain.
You must get a CT/MRI scan of the brain to rule out lesions involving brain. Do consult your ENT doctor in this regards.
Meanwhile you can follow these suggestions:
1) Reduce caffeine and salt intake.
2) Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol.
3) Avoid using objects to clean your ears.
4) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily.
5) Do not take any medications as Aspirin as they can increase the ringing sound.
6) Eat fresh Pineapple in the diet as it reduces inflammation if any.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had cervical surgery done. Why am I having ringing ear? 33 minutes later
Dr. Tayal, Could this be permanent damage? Could penicillin or another medicine help heal this. I did get alot of staph infections when I moved to Florida in 2009. This is scaring me. I see a MD 1-17-13 and I will show him what you sent me. Thank you and I will let you know. I will get a ENT Doctor from my MD. and also a CT/MRI scan. Thank you very much. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
It could be a permanent damage but it needs a complete assessment before coming to a final diagnosis. Neurotoxicity can be caused by antibiotics too but it is not likely to manifest so late. It is more likely to be due to age related degenerative changes.
It is best to get yourself evaluated by an ENT specialist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do let me know your progress.