Had cervical cancer. Removed uterus. Undergoing chemotherapy. Has lump on right side head. Suggest?

Hi. this is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX My young sister had cervical cancer, so they removed her baby bag. She is undergoing chemo, and now has a lump on the right side of her head. Ontop of that, she cannot keep her food down for less than an hour. Not sure whatelse to do. My father was recommended for her to take the thin oil, and my cousin a nurse suggests for her to take anti Nausea
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
NG tube feeding with liquids only

Detailed Answer:

I am extremely sorry about your younger sister. I have read your query thoroughly. It is very disheartening to me.

There is a possbility of metastasis of the cervical cancer to the skull bones. That may be the reason for lump on the right side of her head.

I am sorry that she is not able to keep her food down her throat. She must be in difficult situation.

To me, it seems like the cancer is advanced, and making her life more uncomfortable.

In such a case, I would recommend feeding through a nasogastric (NG) tube with liquids only. In the worst case, we may have to start on Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN).

I would suggest that you have a nurse practitioner at home to personally take care of your sister's diet along with a dietitian's guidance.

You can try thin oil as recommended to your father, but I doubt that she would gain adequate nutrition with this.

Anti-nausea drugs like Domperidone will definitely help.

I wish your sister recovers soon, and is able to eat well.

Take care!
Follow-up: Had cervical cancer. Removed uterus. Undergoing chemotherapy. Has lump on right side head. Suggest? 52 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your diagnosis. I just did a bit of reading about starving the cancer cells from glucose, and the healthy cells can have glucos, and the ketogenic
diet. Am not sure if you understood this question, am not qualified to know the terms you use..
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can try ketogenic diet

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry to have used the medical jargon that you did not understand.

In simple terms, the cancer is advanced, and little can be done to help your sister except for the palliative or supportive treatment.

Yes, Ketogenic diet has been shown to improve the quality of life and classical blood parameters in some patients with advanced metastatic tumors like your sister.

It is a good try, you can opt for this diet in your sister.

Metastasis means the cancer has extended to other organs like bones.

Regarding the NG tube and TPN, pictures can help you understand better. I have cited 2 pictures below for you.

Hope this helps you understand your sister's health condition better.