Had cervical MRI, showed mild heterogeneity in bone marrow. What does it mean?

I had a cervical MRI and the first findings said mild heterogeneity of the signals in the bone marrow, non specific.

Now I know this means that in your bone marrow you have fat and water and that the signals should be the same or something like that for all people, but what would non specific mean? Does that mean I have something in my bone marrow that should not be there and if so what is it. Non specific is an odd thing to say. What happens next with this?
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

These terms mentioned in your MRI report are bit vague (mild heterogeneity , non-specific). When the findings are not clear-cut about some abnormality, then non-specific term is used. It is confusing but there may not be anything serious. Sometimes even otherwise normal persons would have these if tested. This does not warrant attention.
However, you have immune deficiency and mixed connective disorder. Some bone marrow reaction may be because of these.
If your blood counts are fine then probably this can be observed. Do you have any specific symptoms in the neck or back region?

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.
Follow-up: Had cervical MRI, showed mild heterogeneity in bone marrow. What does it mean? 11 hours later
My white count is low which is odd since i have a middle ear infection, but I am on that IVIG therapy for primary immune deficiency and Plaquinel for the mixed connective tissue.

It just sort of freaks me out when I saw this. My MRI's showed in my lumbar spin disc bulging with spinal stenosis and the cervical showed spondoytis all the way down something like that.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 22 minutes later
Thanks for follow-up.

White cells may be low due to immune deficiency or effect of plaquinel.
Otherwise this type of disc bulges and spondylosis are quite common in the general population. Most of them do not require anything other than physiotherapy.