Had catscan with abnormal adnexal masses. Had complete hysterectomy. What does the finding mean?

Question
i just got a catscan last week i picked up the results and it has a paragraph the says as follows:ther are abnormal adnexal masses...i have had a completehysterectomy several yrear ago. how can i have masses if i have no female organs?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 27 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

When you have a hysterectomy, it is not uncommon for the ovaries to be left behind. Are you aware whether or not the ovaries were removed? Is there any more detail about the adnexal masses that you can give me - size or description?

Thank you.

Follow-up: Had catscan with abnormal adnexal masses. Had complete hysterectomy. What does the finding mean? 6 minutes later
yes they were removed i donot know the sizes they were not mentioned in my paperwork i recieved

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 46 minutes later
I am sorry about the delay. Can you tell me the answer to one last question and then I will give you a full answer - what was the reason for the CAT scan? Were you having pain or other symptoms?

I will wait at my computer for your response!

Follow-up: Had catscan with abnormal adnexal masses. Had complete hysterectomy. What does the finding mean? 7 hours later
the reason for the catxcan was having alot of pain in the whole right side. they want me to have a rutine evert two. months catscan because of the resent kidney cancer. i had a full hysterectamy several years ago

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Thank you for the followup.

It would seem to me that a followup in 2 months does not make total sense. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Ask for a pelvic ultrasound - this is a better way to characterize whether these masses are related to your prior ovaries
2. Ask for an OB/GYN consult - the question to them is whether they think this is a GYN problem or not and whether you need sooner evaluation.

I am not sure what these could be, but based upon their location, one supposes that they could be related to retained portions of either or both ovaries.

Let me know if this answers your questions or not!