Had catheter and now pulled after prostate surgery removal. Have trouble with any stream of urine. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
yes please..I had a catheter in for 5 1/2 weeks and now has been pulled for few day (male) after prostate surgery removal now,have major trouble with any stream of urine only at night in bed while a sleep ???
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May take weeks for bladder function to return.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Return of urinary function will take some time. It is normal to find that you leak urine in the early weeks after catheter removal.
Initially, you may find that you are only dry at night in bed. Gradually, the length of time you remain dry will extend longer into the day until you remain dry through the afternoon and evening.
Needing to pass urine frequently and not having much warning that you need to pass urine is also very common.
Regular pelvic floor muscle exercises will help with recovery of bladder control.
It may be a number of months before you consider your bladder control is back to normal.
If you feel that your problem is that you cannot pass water but feel as if you need to and your bladder is full, then you need to see your urologist urgently as this may be the early signs of urinary retention which will need prompt treatment. In this case the catheter may need to be re-inserted.
I hope I have understood and answered your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,