Had cataract surgery. Have severe dizziness and nausea. Vision good. Suggest?

May 2014

hello my mom had a cataract surgery for her second eye like more than 4 weeks ago, for her first eye surgery every thing was normal, but for this one shew has a severe dizziness and nausea. The result of the eye surgery was perfect and her vision is good, she did MRI but every thing was normal, I'm wondering what specialist she should be refereed to for this problem and is it something that we should expect after cataract surgery?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 31 days later
Thanks for writing in.

From the information provided, it concerns your mother who is presently having severe nausea and dizziness persisting even 4 weeks after her second cataract eye surgery.

As you have mentioned, her MRI is normal, I suppose we are talking about the MRI brain scan. You have not mentioned any underlying health conditions for which she is on any medications. Your eye surgeon must have done basic blood work up before doing cataract surgery.

Nausea and dizziness have been known to occur commonly due to problems in the inner ear and blood supply to the brain. It is not something that you should expect after cataract surgery.

I suggest that you may consult an XXXXXXX medicine specialist who can do a complete clinical examination (including cranial nerves evaluation) and then refer you to a neurologist. Since the MRI brain scan is normal, a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid and vertebral arteries may be asked for if felt necessary. This is to check the blood supply to the brain and any obstructions in the passage.

If the neurological findings are normal, you may be advised to consult an ear surgeon for tests to investigate problems in the inner ear if any.

Hope your question is answered.
Wish you good health.

Dr Vivek