Had carpel tunnel surgery done. Getting swelling on arm and hand. Nerve test normal. What to do?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi. I've been having problems with my arms and hands for years. My arms and hands swell up all the time. I've had carpel tunnel surgery 7 years ago. I'm only 24. My right arm had about 7 qurtazone shots in different places. All the nerve test come back normal. The doctor thinks I have compressed nerves but not 100% sure. They mainly swell up when I work. For example I'm a electrician. So I have to put rigid together. It weighs about 50 pounds a stick and have to screw it together. After a few pieces my arm swells so much. Everything gets so tight. My hands go numb. It's hard to explain.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 3 hours later
Dear sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I can see that it is affecting your daily activities. The most probable cause of your problem is your occupation. Lifting heavy weights and using vibrating tools can lead to the problems you are suffering from. These activities affect the nerves and cause damage but it does not always show up on nerve conduction studies. Your carpal tunnel problem also must have got precipitated due to this reason. Another problem could be a cervical rib, which can be picked up by a chest xray.
In my opinion you should visit a neurologist and have this problem evaluated. Another way to see whether the problem is related to your occupation or not is to take some time off from work and see how this condition responds. If jt is related to your occupation, then this condition will worsen with time.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.