Had carpel tunnel surgery and side of the healing wound has started going red and swollen. Infection?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I had carpel tunnel surgery 2 weeks ago and this evening around the side of the healing wound it has started going red and slightly swollen and looks like a slight lump at the wrist end, does it sound like its infected?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 31 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

There is a possibility that the wound is infected but from your description I cannot be sure. It may just be inflamed.

Signs of infection would be increasing tenderness over the area, weeping or pus from the wound, a fever or generally feeling unwell. Swelling and redness only may occur during the healing phase sometimes.

Infection in this area could cause the wound to fail to heal adequately. I would recommend you visit your doctor who will be able to assess the wound more thoroughly and advise you.

I hope this information had been helpful. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger MBChB