Had carpal tunnel surgery. Pain on knees. Is it related to the surgery?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello - I have recently had Carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, and now have extreme pain behind my knees - so much so that it is difficult to get up from a sitting position without deep pain. I am thinking that this could be connected as I have been stressing my legs due to the surgeries. Would this have something to do with the ligaments?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Knee Pains NOT related to Hand surgeries.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is just to let you know that your knee pains are in no way directly related to the carpal tunnel surgeries of both hands. They could be possibly due to Osteoarthritic changes in your knees (owing to your age and typical symptom of pain while getting up from a seated position).

Xrays of the involved joints will show up the severity of the arthritic (wear & tear) changes in the joints.

The conservative management of arthritic knees is as follows -

* PHYSICAL THERAPY : The mainstay of treatment in the early case is physical therapy, which should be directed at maintaining joint mobility and improving muscle strength.
Exercise can strengthen your muscles, which can help keep your joints more stable, and the stronger muscles help to absorb energy and protect the joint surface. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking, biking or swimming.
Other measures, such as massage and the application of warmth, may reduce pain.
* ANALGESIC MEDICATION : Simple over the counter medications like acetaminophen is sufficient in most cases. If this fails to control pain, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like Advil or Aleve may be better.
* USE OF HEAT & COLD : Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness, and cold can relieve muscle spasms and pain.
* LOAD REDUCTION : Protecting the joint from excessive load may slow down the rate of cartilage loss. It is also effective in relieving pain. The heavier you are, the more stress you put on your joints. Weight reduction for obese patients, wearing shock-absorbing shoes, avoiding activities like climbing stairs and using a walking stick are worthwhile.
* OVER THE COUNTER PAIN CREAMS : Local massaging with creams and gels may provide temporary relief from osteoarthritis pain. Some creams numb the pain by creating a hot or cool sensation. Pain creams work best on joints that are close to the surface of your skin, such as your knees.
* USING ASSISTING DEVICES : Assistive devices can make it easier to go about your day without stressing your painful joint. A cane may take weight off your knee or hip as you walk. Carry the cane in the hand opposite the leg that hurts.
* GLUCOSAMINE & CHONDROITIN SULFATE : Daily intake of Glucosamine & chondroitin supplements over a period of 3-4 months will help in reducing the arthritic pains and thereby decreases the necessity to take daily analgesic medications. Research suggests that vitamins C and D may help protect you against the progression of osteoarthritis.

If your symptoms are not relieving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Had carpal tunnel surgery. Pain on knees. Is it related to the surgery? 18 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Please do follow all the recommendations made, to make your life easier.

Good luck