Had carpal tunnel release surgery, red spot on thumb and little finger. What are these spots from?

I had left carpal tunnel release surgery three days ago. On each of my left thumb and little finger there is a medium red spot and there feels like paper cut at the top of the spot on the left thumb. What are these spots from? Should I put a topical antibiotic on the thin cut on my thumb?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 6 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
I think this minor cuts mights have occurred during the surgery, i don't think you need to worry much it will reduce on its own in 2 to three days.
Wash the part of your skin where the cut has occurred. You can apply a thin squirt of topical antibiotic or anti-bacterial cream or lotion to the place of the paper cut. Hydrogen peroxide can also be used.
Presently you need not to worry much, observe the area in case if there is increase in the symptoms / the severity i advice you to see physician for examination.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.