Had canker sore on tongue. Could have passed to my partner through oral sex?

If I had a canker sore on my tongue could I have given my partner genital herpes thru oral sex?
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible.

There are two main herpetic viruses, herpes 1 and herpes 2.

Herpes 1 is mostly seen in the mouth and surrounding areas while herpes 2 is most commonly seen in the genitalia.

Oral sex however can result in the presence of genital herpes 1 and oral herpes 2.
This is because a person with mouth lesions due to herpes 1 can transmit it to their partner via oral sex .
Alternatively if oral sex is performed on a person who has genital herpes 2, the person who is doing the oral intercourse can end up with oral lesions related to herpes 2.

The incubation period for herpes is 6 to 8 days, this is the time from contact to developing evidence of infection.
If your partner does not notice any lesions after this time then it is unlikely that transmission has occurred.

I hope this helps. feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Had canker sore on tongue. Could have passed to my partner through oral sex? 16 minutes later
But I had a canker sore, not a cold sore. I understood cold sores were contagious, but canker sores are not.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later

You are correct, cold sores are related to the herpes virus and canker sores do not usually have an infectious source and cannot be transmitted to another person.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions