Had cancer. Now has pain in hip and leg. X-ray showed white spots. Cancer again?

My sister who has had cancer previously, is having pain in her hip and right leg. She just had an xray, and it showed white spots. Is there a possibility that these could be a sign of cancer? If not what could be another diagnosis?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Although there can be many reasons for these white spots but the most likely cause in your sister's case appears to be the metastatic spots,which occur because of the spread of the primary cancer.
Although you have not mentioned about the type of cancer your sister had but the most important investigation,at the moment is a BONE SCAN.
Bone scan will reveal the cause for these white spots in her hips.
Treatment will depend upon the findings of bone scan.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.